Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Lemons

They say - when life gives you lemons, make lemonade. So, that's exactly what we did!

A lemon tree, located in the yard of the house Ryan & Ashley are soon to move out of, has finally produced a boatload of lemons. The 4 yr old enjoyed juicing the lemons and making a big pitcher of lemonade. The cold lemonade tastes really good on these warm January days in Tucson. It was 80 degrees yesterday!

[The electric juicer is from way back in the days of our first house
(in Van Nuys, CA) which had several lemon and orange trees in the backyard. You can probably tell the juicer's vintage from the lovely "goldenrod" color. ]

We still have lots more lemons. Does anyone have any good recipes that use lemons, such as lemon pie, lemon bars, or lemon chicken? (Those of you who are familiar with my lack of skill in the area of following recipes, please stop laughing.) Seriously, if you have a recipe that involves lemons, please send it along. Thanks!

6 comments:

Janelle said...

I remember making lemonade with you in CA. I am sure it was when we came to visit one time. I kind of remember Kevin being around as a baby. It was one of those things that stuck with me because I did not know that you could make juice out of lemons and I did not know that they grew on trees. Maybe it is a false memory, but I connect you to making lemonade. So cool that you can grow lemons in your yards.

Christy said...

I think I would just juice ALL the lemons and freeze the juice in ice cube trays, and then store the cubes in the freezer to make yummy lemonade when it is 120 degree outside!

Chelita said...

yum! that sounds so refreshing! How about sending so my way! :)
Jill

Cathryn said...

Sure. Anyone who can come down before the end of the month can have as many lemons as you like!

Anonymous said...

What is your plan for the house that has the lemon tree? I think the idea of freezing the juice is a good one. Then you can use it anytime you have a good idea.

Cathryn said...

We will rent the house, same as before. It seems we already have new renters lined up - so that's good. Yes, I like that idea about freezing the juice too. I should know by now that my sisters always have good ideas on these things!