Thursday, June 25, 2009

High Maintenance

Now back in Utah, I have taken on the challenge of the yard. If Arizona can have low maintenance landscaping, why must Utah be such HIGH maintenance? I guess it's because you only have to deal with it for 6 months of the year. IMHO, This is the one and only advantage of the winter snow, ice and cold temperatures here.

One area that has always needed attention is the area by the sidewalk on the side of the house. Others who have tackled this challenge in years past (Suzy?) will agree, this is not an easy task. This has been my project for the past few days.

Before -
Notice weeds choking the sidewalk.












After -
Where you see dirt in this picture, was previously all weeds,
the full length of the fence.















Also, a few years ago I planted some wildflowers by the side of the driveway. They are really pretty this time of year, but no one sees them, so I thought I'd just include them here. Does anyone know the name of the tall orange flowers?


8 comments:

Suzy said...

Wow, that looks really good. It looks like the bushes are finally recovering from the "haircut" I gave them a few years ago. I really did have the best of intentions. Maybe you aren't showing the other end where they are still stumps from my "trimming". In any case, it looks great.

Janelle said...

Don't know what the flowers are but they look like a lily. (I know that doesn't help.)

I am so not into the yardwork stuff. I just want to take out all flower beds and put in grass. Or better yet- landscaping rocks. But that would take way too much work so I am stuck with what I have.

Robin said...

I am pretty sure that is a tiger lily. Way to go on the weeding!! Isn't it amazing how much effort goes into pulling up weeds? I have discovered Preen-it is a gardener's delight!! It is a pre-emergent which keeps anything from germinating from a seed (ie-WEEDS!!), so it's great to use where your flowers are already blooming or for keeping bare patches bare. So even with all the rain Utah has been having, I've only had to pull a handful of weeds out of my roses instead of like last year, where they seemed to be completely overgrown with weeds everytime I turned around. I'm using it around my flowers and my vegetable garden this year and it has made a huge difference for this lazy gardener. :)

Cathryn said...

Thanks for the gardening tip. I'll have to try it. Anything that will keep weeds from taking over the yard sounds good to me!

Ryan said...

I'm behind on reviewing blogs, but I must say the thing that I noticed from this blog was "IMHO". What's next.... would you like to play an MMORPG?

Cathryn said...

You got me on that one - what is MMORPG?

Ryan said...

An MMORPG is a massively multiplayer online role playing game, such as World of Warcraft. Fun stuff.

Cathryn said...

I never would have guess that one, but I'm not surprised it's familiar to you. Enjoy your MMORPGing!