Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Farmington Wildlife

Some people are into running. I admire this, but I've never liked long distance running myself. The constant pounding seems to be destructive to joints plus I've just never liked that jiggly look.

I am more into walking. My usual 4 mile walks take me down the hill, through old downtown Farmington, and onto the Lagoon Trail.







This time of year, the trail is green and cool. It crosses the river/stream/creek in several places and is usually quiet and peaceful.
























Along the way, there are opportunities to see wildlife. I took my camera one day to see what I could see.














Lagoon keeps Bison and Elk in pens which border on the trail. The animals usually look hot, thirsty and just really bored. I should probably report this to the local PETA people . . . just kidding. They would probably object to my treatment of the innocent wasps, spiders, and other assorted bugs I have tried to exterminate over the years. (But that's a subject for another blog post.)




Also along my walking route are other animals, kept by ordinary people in ordinary houses. Of course, there are the usual dogs (just ignore that annoying barking) and cats (harmlessly self-absorbed). But in Farmington, there is other wildlife to see.

There used to be 4 ducks in this pen. Then one day there was only one duck. A few days later 3 new ducks suddenly appeared. I wonder if one of those annoying dogs enjoyed a duck dinner?






Then I came across this group in the front yard of a house in the older part of town.




One or two chickens wouldn't have been so surprising, but this was a whole flock of chickens and roosters running free, with the roosters in full cock-0-doodle-doo mode. I know chickens can sometimes be mean and aggressive (again a subject to another blog), but luckily these did not pay any attention to me.





As I headed back up the hill, one more example of Farmington wildlife crossed my path.




Even though I'm not running, this little guy makes me feel really fast.

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

I have been on a snail and slug hunt. I wait until dark and then I go out with a sack and salad tongs and get as many as I can. I save my flowers from screaming in pain and the snails and slugs go in the trash.

Cathryn said...

Oh my! That sounds quite disgusting. The things we'll do to save our flowers. Remind me to think twice about eating salad at your house. Just kidding..... : )

Ashley said...

You've got quite the zoo up there. Who knew?