Sunday, July 12, 2009

Only in Farmington

I's July in Utah and that means not a weekend goes by without parades and fireworks. It's not enough that we have the usual 4th of July and 24th of July celebrations, but our little town of Farmington has its own July celebration. The Farmington Festival Days happens each year on the weekend between those two more famous holidays.

This year it started with an early morning race, 5K, 10K and Half-Marathon. Ken won 3rd place in the 10K in his age group. He's not too sad about moving up an age group this year. I walked the 5K and still beat over 40 of the 300 some 5K runners. I was a little worried I would end up dead last, so at least I didn't have to suffer that humiliation.

















Then, after the awards ceremony and breakfast in the park, it was on to the Parade.
I will divide the parade into 3 segments:
1)Marching Bands 2) Cool Cars AND 3) Things seen only in a Farmington parade.

Marching Bands - the best part of any parade IMHO.



Can you believe it? Farmington JUNIOR HIGH has it's own marching band now. I thought you former Huskies would like to see this.





Viewmont Band. Sorry but it's pathetic.














And then there's the mother of all bands, Davis High Band. They just go on and on and on.

























2) Cool Cars
I thought Ryan and Kevin would enjoy this.














































OK. The last car was not actually in the parade, but it looked cool in the parking lot.

AND

3) Things only seen in a Farmington parade.

My boat is my float.
















Make up your own joke about this waving beauty queen.









Every tractor ever built.











And I thought this guy was kind of cool on the 3-wheel unicycle.

3 comments:

John said...

Congrats on the race-placing. One of these days I'll place in my age group. I thought I had it during my last race because there weren't that many of us. Alas, I took 4th.

Janelle said...

Fun times... Maybe one of these days I will take m y kids to a parade. They might like it. I can find lots of other things that I have to do.

Carolyn said...

Congrats on walking so fast. The parade reminds me of the Hello Neighbor Parade in Alhambra, but without the tractors and I'm sure there were not any cool cars around.