Thursday, December 11, 2008

Suggestions for Christmas Movies?

I've been trying to find some good Christmas movies. Of course, there are always the old favorites, which include:

It's a Wonderful Life (1946) - Even if you watch it every year, it just keeps getting better.

Miracle on 34th Street (1947) - If you want proof that Santa really does exist.

Miracle on 34th Street (1994) - I prefer the reasoning and evidence used to prove Santa exists in the old version, but I like the ending better in this newer one.

A Christmas Story (1983) - I double dog dare you not to like this one.

Extra points for providing memorable quotes from any of the above movies.

Any suggestions for other good Christmas movies, old or new?

4 comments:

Markie said...

"You'll shoot your eye out!"
"Every time a bell rings, an angel gets its wings"

I know they aren't box-office movies, but I still love The Grinch and Charlie Brown Christmas.

On an unrelated note, can you send me the addresses (mailing and email) of you and all of your kids? Y'all have all been moving around and my Christmas Card list is woefully out of date. margaret at littlelit dot com.

Marti said...

I'm a sucker for Christmas movies! I never get tired of Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol." I think my favorite movie adaptations are the 1999 version staring Patrick Stewart (Jean Luc Picard) as Scrooge and "The Muppet Christmas Carol."

Memorable quote from "A Christmas Story" not yet posted by someone else: (as sung by the Chinese waiters) "Deck the halls with boughs of horry, ra ra ra ra ra, ra ra ra ra."

Christy said...

My favorite of the older classics are White Christmas (Especially the "Sisters, sisters" song, and even more especially when it's done by Bing Crosby and Danny Kay) and The Bishop's Wife -- I do like Cary Grant.
Modern ones -- Home Alone and The Holiday.

Cathryn said...

I especially like the "Sisters, Sisters" song even more when done by Christy and Cathryn. : )

Yes, the Bishop's Wife is also a good one. Memorable quote: "The main trouble is there are too many people who don't know where they're going and they want to get there too fast!"